In 2009, Dopper founder Merijn Everaarts watched a documentary about the garbage patch floating in the ocean and thought: I have to do something about this!
Dopper’s mission is to achieve a world in which people are conscious of the environment we live in, where the amount of single-use plastic is reduced and where everyone, near and far, has access to safe drinking water
Dopper aims to achieve this through the following three pillars of thought:
1. creating awareness regarding the impact of single-use plastic waste and inspiring people to initiate a change.
2. offering an innovative product line of sustainable design bottles for drinking water.
3. increasing access to safe drinking water for people around the world.
Why do we do it?:
Our biggest motivation is the massive amount of plastic waste that is currently produced:
- Worldwide, only 1% of plastic is recycled.
- 50% of plastic is thrown away directly after use.
- Each day, freight-loads of plastic reach our oceans -often unintentionally- via streets, canals, rivers and seas.
- The five largest ocean areas where this plastic waste converges, can contain up to 36 times more plastic than plankton.
- The plastic enters our food chain in small particles via marine life and birds.
- Annually, the plastic in the oceans causes the death of 1 million seabirds and 100.000 marine mammals.
- And last but not least: it requires 1 liter of water and 1 liter of oil to produce a single plastic bottle.